Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Backhoe Driver

The other day, in PE, my class helped the people working campus clean up the entry way to our school. They were working towards planting grass, but they had to get rid of as many rocks as they could first. That was where we came in. Our PE teacher wanted us to help gather rocks. One of the guys climbed into the backhoe and followed along behind us. Slowly, we worked on picking up all the larger rocks, and throwing them into the backhoe’s bucket. We soon got a system going. Our class formed a line, so that we covered as much as we could. There were people out on the end of the line that had plastic buckets, so they didn’t have to go to the backhoe each time they picked up a rock. I was one of those people.

As time went on, our line got a little staggered. Some people stayed with the backhoe, and some skipped on ahead. Others fell behind. I was also one of those people. Some of the others who also fell behind asked me if they could put their rocks in my bucket, since the backhoe was a ways away. “Of course” I would tell them, “That’s what I’m here for!”

Gradually, my bucket got full. It almost got to the point where I couldn’t carry it anymore. I finally had to empty my bucket. I slowly made my way to the backhoe. Once there, I heaved my relatively little bucket up to the large metal bucket. Oh how light it felt after I emptied it!
The driver was careful of all of us. He made sure that none of us got ran over, and that we all were able to put our rocks into the metal bucket. He often encouraged me to empty my bucket by slowing down his speed so I wouldn’t be afraid to come near to the machine.

I know of another “Backhoe Driver” who behaves much like ours did that day. In our everyday lives, I pick up burdens, and so often, I put these burdens in my own little bucket. I add weight to my life. People also give me their burdens to carry; they ask if they can lean on me. Slowly but surely, I find that I have a back-breaking load. What can I do but give it all over to Him?
The Driver calls to me “Take My yoke upon yourself and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your soul. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
(Matthew 11:29-30 NKJV) He will carry the weight for me; I know that I can’t carry it on my own.

Jesus asks you to give Him all your burdens. Why should you carry them, when you have a Backhoe Driver who will take them all for you?

“Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.”
1 Peter 5:6-7 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment