Monday, May 16, 2011

Swim Harder

Many who are qualified to do excellent work accomplish little because they attempt little. (Help in Daily Living, pg. 43)

“AHH! This is so cold,” I screamed as I stepped warily into the freezing pond on the lower end of our campus. Katie was already in up to her knees in the water. Determined to swim at least a little that day, Katie and I headed down to the pond. By the time I was finally up to my knees in the water, Katie was already swimming around. She was planning to do 30 laps across the pond. I didn’t even consider it. There was no way I would be able to stay in that water long enough to swim one lap, not to mention 30.
I finally decided to jump in, head long, and swim frantically towards the floating dock. About half-way there, my legs started to cramp up, which made any progress completely dependent on my arms. I made it to the floating dock in record time; there was no way I would stay in the water for much longer than record time!
I hauled myself up onto the floating dock and sat there, watching Katie swim back and forth. She ended up only doing 21 laps, but that was still 21 more laps than I did. When I decided that it was time to head back to the dorm, I forced myself to muster the courage to get back into the water. I finally slipped into the frigidness, and paddled back to the shore.
I did enjoy my time at the pond, but I could have gotten more out of it if I had tried. Instead of swimming the most I could, I tried to swim the least. I didn’t try to swim a lot, so I didn’t think I could.
In my Christian walk, I sometimes don’t want to do things that I’m not used to doing. I want to stay warm in my “comfort zone” instead of doing hard things for God. But if I was to apply myself to what He calls me to do, I would be able to accomplish so much for His cause! Will you attempt to do more for God today?

No comments:

Post a Comment