Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas Time!

Hello Family and Friends,

Greetings from Canada! This year has been full of firsts for me. One of them being this letter; my first personal Christmas letter! I know it’s a little early for Christmas, but being at Fountainview has completely changed my schedule! This will also be the first time I have lived anywhere but Alaska. Thankfully, British Columbia isn't too horribly far from home! It is the first time I have been in an orchestra. Orchestra for me has been one of the hardest, but most enjoyable things about academy. Practice can be grueling, but the concerts are so rewarding! This is also the first time I've been in a real class room setting. I was happily surprised to find out that teachers are wonderful people, with wonderful dreams and most importantly, wonderful compassion and understanding.
Time is an amazing thing. The days since I have been here each seem to last a life time, but then the weeks fly by! I feel like I have always been at Fountainview, but it also feels like I just got here.
School itself has been going pretty well. There is a lot to learn! Socials class is often my favorite. Since I’m in Canada, everything is from a Canadian point of view. That always makes it interesting… Math class is one of the most, uhh, enlightening I suppose. Strange new concepts are tackled almost every day. Normally when we aren’t conquering crazy math books, we are trying to keep from busting out laughing at the wild antics of our classmates. Everything from paper wasps to water bottle throwing contests fills our math experience with excitement. Bible used to be impossible, before they switched up our classes to allow for our recording. But now it is often an enjoyable experience filled with imperative messages of God’s love for us. PE is, well, PE I guess.
We officially started our Christmas season this year with our concert in Lytton on the 12th of November. That was a wonderful experience. Before I came here, I never understood how hard Christmas music can be! It was always just more music. But now, I have to work to get it to sound anything like it’s supposed to. But, Praise the Lord, I think I finally have most of it down pretty well.
The snow is sparse here so far, but it is still starting to feel like Christmas. Christmas music is constantly running through our heads. Scarves and sweaters are becoming the clothes of choice. The mountains surrounding our school are turning white. All of this reminds me of how our Savior came down to earth, was born in a stable, and died so that I too can be whiter than snow.

Yours truly,

Heather Ueeck

No comments:

Post a Comment