Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Tomato Slicer

We have a campus picnic today. The whole campus has been working hard to make it perfect. I was asked to work in the cafe for an hour to help prepare some of the delicious foods that we will all enjoy in a few hours. I have to say that I wasn't the happiest to be there, but I wanted to help. I started by slicing the tomatoes for the sandwiches. One of the deans, Laurie, helped me. She washed the tomatoes, and cleaned them up for me. I got to use the fancy slicer (like the one in the picture. At first, the tomatoes went through well, then we had a few that got slaughtered. They just wouldn't go through! I never thought that a tomato could be so hard.... Then one of them got stuck. I went to go move it and sliced my finger. I drew it back quickly -- it started bleeding a bunch. I got a bandaid and glove and started slicing again. The tomatoes went through more smoothly than before. Then all of a sudden -- SQUIRT! A tomato didn't go through so well. A spray of juice shot towards Laurie. I felt so bad! She just laughed and replied "It's just the risk of the job!" What a profound statement. We kept on working even though the situation wasn't the best. My finger hurt, and we both got squirted a few more times. But the job had to be done. God asks each of us to do things for Him. It may not be the most pleasant thing, but God has asked us to do it. My work can be such a blessing if I just do my duty! It may hurt, or be messy but I can't let that stop me. I need to keep working. I'll get a reward, later. I can trust God with that part. I'm going to go eat some tomatoes -- what a great reward!

No comments:

Post a Comment