Monday, September 20, 2010

The Belly Dump

A few weeks ago, my sister and I got a wonderful opportunity. We got to go to work with dad. That was something we had never done before. We were never allowed to even ride in the trucks with him, but that day was different.
Dad was driving the belly dump. His job was to take gravel from one pile, in Tok, to another pile at the 7 mile marker gravel pit on the Taylor highway. It amazed me how easy he made it seem to drive that monster! I think I would have crashed it several times over by the time that the day was over. I can’t drive a normal vehicle as well as he drives the belly dump.
What also amazed me was how the guys on the job worked together. They were a true team. Each one had his job to do. They did their work cleanly, as smooth as clock work. Added to this was a great sense of humor.
When Dad got stuck once, one of the guys who was working close by didn't hesitate to push dad out. To me, it seemed kind of hopeless. This was a semi-truck, with a full load of gravel on the back. Getting unstuck seemed would seem like an impossibility. However, within a minute or two the truck and trailer were both unstuck.

These guys worked together so well! They each had their place, and did their work the best they could. This really reminds me of the way Paul described the way our church should work. We are all part of the same body, and working together, although it may not come naturally, should be a priority. Romans 14:4-8 explains it all. So let's take lessons from the belly dump.

No comments:

Post a Comment