Monday, September 27, 2010

Water in the Hall

This happened a few weeks ago, but I wasn't able to write it until now.
It was Sabbath morning, so things seemed bright and cheery, even before I got out of bed. The week here is always extremely busy, almost busier then a week at home, so Sabbath is always a welcomed end to the week. And this day was no exception. I thought to myself, as I tried to muster the energy to get out of bed, "Today is going to be good. Better than good. No school to do, no problems to encounter."
However, as soon as my feet hit the floor, I knew that this day wouldn't be the typical Sabbath. Why did my feet feel wet? Was that water on my floor? WHAT!
I walked to the door, and most of the carpet was wet. I poked my head out the door, and saw puddles of water spread out along the hallway. The hallways were made of tile, so you could see the pools of water plainly. What was the matter?
After a short discussion with Sam, we decided that telling the dean would be the first thing to do. Although we really hated to wake Rosa up, we climbed up the stairs, and went to her apartment.
Within a few minutes, after getting back to my room, Rosa's voice crackled over the PA system. "Girls, there's a man in the dorm. Please dress accordingly. As some of you know, there is a problem in the basement, so please don't use any of the basement showers. Thank you."
By the time we left for breakfast, the figured out what the problem was. I never heard the whole story about what it was, but that doesn't matter. What I do know is that before Church started, the problem was temporarily fixed. Monday, it was fixed more permanently.
The water in the hallway was a lesson to me about patience. I really didn’t like the fact that my feet were getting wet. I didn’t like the fact that we had to get ready for church while trying to maneuver around the guys who were helping us. I had to learn to get over it. Things don’t always go our way.
I also learned a lot about willingness. Our dean didn’t get mad at us that we woke her up early. She swung right into action to get the problem fixed. Also, the maintenance guys got up around 7:00 in the morning, and came all the way over to the girls dorm to fix a leak. Sabbath was their day off, the day of rest. But there was a job that really needed fixed, and they were willing to fix it. Would I be willing to help other, even if it meant using my personal time? Would I be willing to lend a helping hand even if it didn’t fit my schedule? I pray that I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment